Wednesday, June 13, 2012

UPDESH JO APNEE GEETA DA SAMJHA DIYA BANSURI WALEY NAY

How many times – in my childhood – I have woken to this bhajan sung by my parents – and whenever we are together we sing it. The eternal truths – in mother tongue – bathe me in joy. Someone one day – may similarly rejoice – to the immortality of our soul. The memory of mother singing this more often is vivid and as I write this – her singing chant – moves me – as nothing else. UPDESH JO APNEE GEETA DA SAMJHA DIYA BANSURI WALEY NAY AGYAN DA PARDA JO SEE PAYA OH UTHA DIYA BANSURI WALEY NAY SUCH JAN TOON ATMAN MARDA NAHIN EHNOO SHASTAR KATAL KOYEE KARDA NAHIN AG PANEE HAWA KOLON DARDA NAHIN SAMJHA DIYA BANSURI WALEY NAY JIWAYEN ADAMI MAILEY LAHNDA HAI NAWENY KAPDEY CHAH FIR PANDA HAI TIWENY ATMA TAN BADLANDA HAI FARMA DIYA BANSURI WALEY NAY EH DUNIYAN CHALDI AAYEE HAI NA KOYEE BHEN TAN NA KOYEE BHAYEE HAI NA KOYEE BAAP TAY NA KOYEE MAYEE HAI SAMJHA DIYA BANSURI WALEY NAY UPDESH JO APNEE GEETA DA SAMJHA DIYA BANSURI WALEY NAY AGYAN DA PARDA JO SEE PAYA OH UTHA DIYA BANSURI WALEY NAY And then decades later – Bhawana Sawanth wanted me to sing this bhajan as we walked late in the night in SUMPOORNA. I sang this – and suddenly realized the power of this bhajan. Then she wanted to sing along with me. Then others wanted to sing it too. I THINK MORE SO – when they realized their basketball coach was in joy – and they wanted me to be happy. Children have that innate quality of `connecting’ – because they still posses their INTUITION.

No comments: