Wednesday, September 15, 2010

ASK YOURSELF - WHAT CAN YOU DO FOR INDIA'S FUTURE?

As a young man, I was often angry that my country was so backward in sports. I used to talk endlessly with my friends about it. Reading the news, watching TV - commenting was our main profession. One day, my wife asked me - YOU TALK SO MUCH, why don't you actually do something. She set me on a journey from which I have never come back. The beginning was very humble - two badminton rackets and a shuttlecock. EVEN TODAY, my efforts are very humble. But I AM ANGRY. There are so many of us - who comment so much on sports - talk endlessly - but never get up from the chair and DO SOMETHING.

YOU CAN DO A LOT. Just go to the playground every day - walk, jog or run. Make someone catch you - IT IS SO JOYOUS! Collect a small group of children - make them play. Give them the JOY they so richly deserve.

I saw an old man exercising in the basketball court. I asked him, if I could join him. WELCOME, he said. Over a period of few days - others joined us. We made a rule - NO ONE WILL TALK during exercise. Today, the group is almost 50 strong and almost FIVE YEARS old.

YOU WILL HAVE MANY REASONS TO - NOT GO TO PLAYGROUND - throw all those reasons in the waste basket. India's future depends on your going to the playground and nothing shall stop you from doing it. The right to comment on others' successes and failures can only then be rightfully yours.

No comments: